Good health is a journey. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the destination and give up on the journey. The reality is, simple choices make a difference. Changing a single health habit can result in huge wellness payoffs for you. Think about it. Choose any one of the items below and change just that habit this coming year. You will be light years ahead with your health.
- Go to bed! Get ½ hour to an hour more sleep than you are currently getting
- Floss your teeth – daily
- Brush your teeth – twice daily, not once but twice
- Move it, move it, move it throughout the day. Stand more, walk more, fidget more. Don’t save it for the gym.
- Wear your seat belt, always.
- Make an appointment for that one preventive health check you have been avoiding
- Give up the tobacco
- Do something every day that brings you pleasure…read, laugh, sing, nap, meditate, relax
- Buy a good pair of walking shoes and use them
- Know your blood pressure, cholesterol, and glucose numbers; write them down
- We are what we eat. Cut back on one of your less healthy food addictions…sweets, fats, breads…
- Sugary drinks are just plain bad. Stop it.
At the end of every day think of the simple, good health choices you made and pat yourself on the back, say it out loud…or journal it. It’s a known fact that we get more of what we concentrate our thoughts on. If you focus on the positive choices you made, you will get more positive behaviors. If your focus remains on your negative choices, you may just stay stuck!
What simple health choices are you planning for 2013?