I spend lots of time in September/October getting the house ready for fall and winter. As I was struggling to clean the rain gutters this weekend, it occurred to me I should be putting equally as much time into fall cleanup and winter prep for my body…you know, a little medical self-care. At the very least, I should have a plan. Do you have a winter plan? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Dust off your fitness club membership
- Check your walking shoes for a good fit
- Locate your walking hat, gloves, and flashing safety lights
- Call your walking partner; set a date
- Refresh your sunscreen (yes, you still need to wear it!)
- Get your cholesterol and glucose (blood sugar) checked
- Have your blood pressure checked
- Write down your weight and waist measures; measure against them every 1-2 months
- Get a flu shot!
- Check your immunizations…shingles, tetanus, pneumonia
- Schedule your preventive health checks: teeth cleaning, PSA, mammogram, pap smear, colonoscopy
- Stock your pantry with high energy foods
Make your list; take good care of you! Go into winter feeling good; you’re much more apt to have a healthy spring.
What’s your plan to prepare your body for winter?