No time for the gym, for a run, or for a dog walk? Housewalking could be your thing! Housewalking is literally walking around your house whenever you can. It’s practical, available, affordable, requires no child care, no fitness trainer, no special clothing…and it can be done in all kinds of weather! Have you considered the irony of paying a membership fee to walk somewhere else when you have perfectly good floors at home? Think about it.
Here’s how you start
- Get a fitness tracker to track your steps and calories burned
- Get a spill-proof water bottle to carry around
- Decide: do you want to walk in place or around your house; either works
- Decide: which of your at-home activities should be automatic walking opportunities?
- Put an “are you walking?” note in areas where you typically just stand or sit…the recliner, the stove, the sink, the fridge
- Set a goal – try to rack up 500 steps each time you housewalk
- Examples of housewalking opportunities: on the phone, watching TV, cooking, brushing your teeth, listening to music, cleaning
- Get friends involved – start a challenge
- Make it FUN!
Share your experience housewalking!