“I love the holidays but I want to practice damage control this year…” my coworker stated as she left my office. It sounds fairly clinical, but it’s true. The magic of the Season can lead one down the path of destruction and compromise! What gets compromised? – nutrition, budget, sleep habits, exercise, YOU! I did a quick review of my last two weeks. I traded away two trips to the gym to finish holiday house decorations. I traded away at least three trips to the grocery store for after-work holiday get-togethers. Tonight I am trading sleep time and relaxation to get the holiday cards written. UGH!
There’s hope – you can stop the madness. Practice damage control…
- Make a budget for entertainment, food, and gifts
- Schedule exercise; put it on your calendar
- Prepare at least one healthy meal every day
- Quit the “clean plate club”
- Eat slowly; savor your food
- Have a plan before you arrive at a buffet or office potluck
- Meet with friends around events, not food
- Let go of perfectionism!
- Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should; guard your time
- De-stress with three yoga tips
- Slow down, take a breath; be in the moment, not on your way to the next moment!
Share what you do for damage control during the Holidays