Fall happened this week. I had to search for a bed quilt, coat, and socks; things I haven’t seen since May; my feet screamed. It got me thinking…am I “road worthy” for winter? I know I’m ready for the fun things; I’m not so sure I am road worthy for challenges like staying active, winter sports, countering sugar with good nutrition, and fending off the flu and colds…just to name a few. I’m not even sure I can withstand a cold, late-night football game! So, here are some tips on becoming “road worthy” and for staying radiantly healthy this fall
- Find your winter clothes NOW; remember how to dress in layers; get out your flashlight, gloves, boots, hat, hand warmers…
- Keep moving – treat your senses to fall; walk in the leaves, cycle the streets, take a hike, visit a park; get outside and breathe in fall
- Schedule your activity time; put it on the calendar just like you do any other important event
- Get a flu shot…and just in case, lay in a supply of Kleenex and cold decongestants
- Sign up for a new fitness class or sport, one that can be learned and practiced indoors during the cold weather
- Get 10,000 steps a day; use the stairs, stand at your desk, walk during breaks or lunch time…have a walking meeting; go out of your way to move
- Manage your stress level; being indoors during the winter plays havoc with stress. Meditate, do yoga, read for enjoyment, spend quality time with family
- Know your why; it’s easier to stay motivated if you have a reason beyond the moment
- Watching more TV? Stay in motion at least during the commercials. Do lunges, stretches, and free weights
- Holiday hint: Portion Control. It starts with Halloween!!
What’s your best “road worthy” tip for fall?